Alliya's installation development: Accent


Design 1.0




My first concept was to have an interaction space where people could contribute to the installation as well. Using El Anatsui's concept, I wanted to make something that represents what architecture meant to me. The location of the first design was under the "bridge" to room 408. The idea was that to recycle materials to make something new, as Anatsui did. Strings are attached at the beginning of the installment to lead the audience into the more secluded area under the bridge. Old models were to be broken down and reconstructed into a wall lining the side of the existing wall. Pens would be hung down from the ceiling so that the audience can contribute to the wall of models.

Site Selection


After deciding that the space I originally picked was too big, I looked for somewhere smaller with a more sense of intimacy. I picked the connection area between the two buildings near INDA office.

Design 1.1



With the new site in mind, I applied the same concept. Since there are more walls to play with, I played with the entrance and exit, developing a sequence from being confined and then more loose at the end.
At this point, I was recommended to use less concepts and abstract it more. Effect does not equal affect therefore I should economize the effects used.

Design 2.0


I took out the models and the pens and focused mainly on the ribbons, letting them tell the story instead. The story was to be told by the arrangement of colors and style of weaving, gradually changing as you pass along the 'tunnel'. One side was loose and free while the other is tight, rigid, and orderly

Design 2.1

I stopped to think about my project. Since the location have changed, my approach on the installment should shift accordingly as well. The new site was interesting, and much less straightforward than the first site. It would be a shame to close it off in a tunnel. So the tunnel idea was changed and turned into a mix of a bridge and a cage. The bridge connects to the architecture around it and accents the edges, that would show up clearly at night. I made several study models to see the pattern and weaving design of the ribbons before deciding. 




No comments:

Post a Comment