Palm’s documentation and post-analysis on Whispering Wall



 -Overall, I am please with the outcome of the installation, I felt that it does convey the main idea and it did play with the curiosity and the ambiguity, observing my work when it was all installed, I certainly feel a draw inward to explore and investigate with the combination of the alluring lights and almost hypnotic sounds.  As a result I actually felt as if the wall is whispering, the candle effect was such a great choice as the light flashes almost in rhythm with the sound and the fabric which changes shape slightly when blew on by the wind teases us to touch and interact with the whole installation.



- One of the biggest change in the actual installation is that I’ve changed from using paper to fabric and the main reason for this is purely functional, because paper could not withstand the night wind so I embarked on a new challenge of finding a new material and also a new way of creating a secure attachment that would enables the installation to look decent when nature strikes. I felt alright with the final result although I wished that the fabric would be thicker so that the candles wouldn’t be revealed as much but overall, they did perform well and the wind actually created a nice effect where the air would get trapped and the fabric would changes shape, as a result, it adds more variations to the lights which makes the whole installation came alive as well.


From my observation, the audience did very well in participating with the installation, they did interact with the sounds and the furnitures without asking any question, so it’s quite evidential that my installation did quite a good work in being self-explanitiry, simple yet strong in its own way. However due to many circumstances on the night I would prefer if each of my audience would spend more time listening to each sound and perhaps think about it /ask questions stead of just doing it for fun. Nevertheless, I received some good feedbacks from the audience and that brought joy to my heart, I do change my perspective about simplistic work now, and hopefully it has been proven that  a simple work can sometimes be as powerful if not more than a complex one and that a work can physically appears to be quite simple and minimalistic but can still included lots of working process.




No comments:

Post a Comment