Pat's installation drawings: keep dark

Defining the installation

Here I have a position of the lockers, which my installation will be inside.

How to assemble a light panel & How to connect the bulbs to the batteries

This time I change a light bulbs from 12v/ 25w to 12v/ 8w so the batteries would last longer, but I get a dimmer light, which I'll have to figure out later on how to emphasize the light. I also choose to connect the bulbs to the batteries in parallel. I make three sets of six bulbs and a battery. As the result, the batteries last about 20 minutes.

No.139 A diagram of what being installed inside the locker

To emphasize the light, I put a reflective surface paper inside each sides of the locker, but on top and bottom of the inside I put purple foils to give color effect to the locker.
No. 004 A diagram of what being installed inside the locker

I connect a pulling mechanism to the locker. For objects I use several small plastic balls so when the balls drop, it will create a continuous sound for few seconds. I also put iPhone's flash light inside the locker so people can see when the balls drop.

 INTENDED EFFECTS OVER THE CONTEXT AND VISITORS.
For this installation, I choose to play with a concept of private vs public, expectation vs unexpectation and dissociation. The private and public came up when I did an analysis on artist Sophie Calle. Most of her work is about the exposition of either her private life or everyone else's. This is against social code on privacy, but because of that it keeps people's attention and engage with her works. The site, I choose 4th floor locker area because it is where my locker is. A locker is a personal space, where people keep their belongings.  I saw some of my friends decorate inside of their locker, and the locker become their private zones.

When people come to their locker, they come to store something or to bring something out. They go there with intention and expectation to see their belongings. What if people don't see what they expected, what will be their reactions? I want to see how people react to what they expect to see, but they see what they don't expect to see. The concept of expectation vs unexpectation and dissociation came after I studied artist Joan Jonas' work. She is a performance and video artist. The work that I studied were videos. The similarity in the two work is she makes her video ambiguous that when I see them I was not sure what I were looking at or where the story took place. However, after I took sometimes watching them I would know what the object the video camera captured was. I saw an image.  I guessed what it was, but at the end it turned out to be something else. Sometimes I don't see how the sound in the video relates to the image.  This is how expectation unexpectation, and dissociation come to play.

My installation took place in an aisle between two rows of lockers. I wanted it to be completely dark, and lucky me, the power went out on the presentation day. The way to draw people to the locker I had installed something inside is through the use of sound. The place was dark so the visitors could not rely on their eyes but their ears. When they come to a locker they would open it out of their curiosity and they would see what was inside.

The sound I chose were two types; one suggested private (sound in private space such as activities in the bathroom), the other suggested public (night time Siam Square walking street). The place that I put my installation in was quite a distance from each other(see the first diagram) because I want the visitors to be able to change their moods after they saw my first locker. The act of exploring someone else's locker also violates the code on privacy.  Exposing something private to public is what I got from the studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment